Saturday, February 13, 2010

Windows EBS + Optional Update Step = Wasted time/Bad Server

So I had a problem where my Magement server was not opening the admin console or System Center Essentials Console. It was just erroring out and closing. After looking around I found the following error in the Event Viewer of the management server:
This problem was because WSUS 3.0 SP2 tried to install during the Progress of Optional Updates Step of EBS Install on the Management Server.
Level: Error     Source: IIS-W3SVC-WP    Event ID: 2268   General: "Could not load all ISAPI filters for site 'WSUS ADMINISTRATION'. Therefore site startup aborted."

I did some digging around and remembered that one of the Optional Updates it wanted to install was WSUS 3.0 SP2. I started looking around and other than finding a very sparce WSUS folder there was no proof that WSUS was on the server. So I went and downloaded WSUS 3.0 SP2 x64 from here. I just ran I quick install and then rebooted the server. After that I was then able to open the Mangement Server's Admin Console for EBS and the System Center Essentials Console.

My Recommendation is to skip the Optional Update Step of the EBS install on all servers. Some updates will install but many don't and you have to install them afterwards anyways. Also one or two of the updates will cause the server to say it needs to reboot causing it to restart then it trys to reinstall that update again. Lets just say it will keep doing it as long as you allow it. The problem is the check the box that you checked for it to do this is in the Planning Wizard and if you are here then most likey you already checked it. The other way to skip this step then is to unplug the cord that connects it to the internet when it gets to this point. Then when it errors out to plug it back in and hit "Next"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it Clean.