Saturday, February 13, 2010

Windows EBS + Optional Update Step = Wasted time/Bad Server

So I had a problem where my Magement server was not opening the admin console or System Center Essentials Console. It was just erroring out and closing. After looking around I found the following error in the Event Viewer of the management server:
This problem was because WSUS 3.0 SP2 tried to install during the Progress of Optional Updates Step of EBS Install on the Management Server.
Level: Error     Source: IIS-W3SVC-WP    Event ID: 2268   General: "Could not load all ISAPI filters for site 'WSUS ADMINISTRATION'. Therefore site startup aborted."

I did some digging around and remembered that one of the Optional Updates it wanted to install was WSUS 3.0 SP2. I started looking around and other than finding a very sparce WSUS folder there was no proof that WSUS was on the server. So I went and downloaded WSUS 3.0 SP2 x64 from here. I just ran I quick install and then rebooted the server. After that I was then able to open the Mangement Server's Admin Console for EBS and the System Center Essentials Console.

My Recommendation is to skip the Optional Update Step of the EBS install on all servers. Some updates will install but many don't and you have to install them afterwards anyways. Also one or two of the updates will cause the server to say it needs to reboot causing it to restart then it trys to reinstall that update again. Lets just say it will keep doing it as long as you allow it. The problem is the check the box that you checked for it to do this is in the Planning Wizard and if you are here then most likey you already checked it. The other way to skip this step then is to unplug the cord that connects it to the internet when it gets to this point. Then when it errors out to plug it back in and hit "Next"

Monday, February 8, 2010

Smart Hosts Exchange 2007 SP1

So I was getting a strange error while trying to setup exchange to use a smart host. The Steps I had taken were to go into the the Send Connector that was already setup for email going out. I then Clicked on the Radio Button "Route mail through the following smart hosts:" I then added my mail server. Then I clicked on the change button beside "Smart host Authentication:" and put in the credentials. After clicking ok I got this error. "The DomainSecureEnabled parameter can't be set to $True unless the DNSRoutingEnabled parameter is also set $True."
Wierd, since I am new to Exchange 2007 I haven't gotten use to the shell so I was kinda lost on what it was saying. After Looking around the net no luck. I hit "OK" on the error and Canceled out of the Authentication dialog. After looking at the previous dialog I noticed the following Check mark for the setting opposite of using a smart host.

There is the option "Enable Domain Security (Mutual Auth TLS)." So I clicked the radio button back on "Use Domain system" and unchecked it" and then swapped back to "Route mail through the following smart hosts:" Went and put in the Authentication information again and it took it this time.

Personally the settting "Enable Domain Security" since it is a subsetting of Use domain Security it should have no effect on using a smart host. If so the Setting should be set to the bottom of both. Since if you choose route mail through smart host it gray's out that setting. Wierd. This might be fixed in Exchange 2007 SP2 but I don't know. Anyways hope it helps someone else out too.

Saturday, February 6, 2010

Kodak EasyShare C613 Lens Error

So my favorite niece got a Kodak EasyShare C613 for Christmas I believe about a year and a 1/2 ago. Well It had gotten stuck halfway out and when turned on would give a "Lens Error" and then some numbers not sure what they were since it's working now. The process to get it fixed was a piece of cake.

Just take out the 7 screws on the sides and bottom of the camera. I used a #0 Phillips to take them out. The front is not connected by any wires so you will take it off. First though take out the batteries, SD card and pop open the battery compartment.

Start pulling the front from the body of the camera on the bottom. The tops and halfway up the sides is a little more tight. I used a 1.4mm regular screw driver to slide into the gap and turned it to widen the gap. Doing this slowly all around got the front off.

Wipe off the sides of the telescopic lens. Pop the batteries back in and close the compartment. Turn it on. To do this you need to press the on/off button which may be hard to see. Pull the black plastic back some to see it. I used the phillips to turn it on.

For me it turned on and finished it's extension. Tested it by turning it off and on a couple of time. Good to go. It sounded a little mechanical so I blew it out which fixed it a little. But it worked and thats what mattered. Then time to put it back together. Pull out the batteries and leave the door open. Slide the front back on starting at the top and pressing it together. When done put the 7 screws back, followed by the SD card and batteries. You are good to go.

If the above didn't fix it for you yours may have been damaged further then hers. Hope this helps someone