Thursday, October 1, 2009

Unmountable Boot Volume

So I had one of my users drop off a laptop saying the laptop turned off and then after that wouldn't come back up. I turn the laptop on and yep that is the problem. It gives me the infamous Bluescreen, with the words "Unmountable Boot Volume" This is the 2nd one of the week.


Well if you get that then usually the first thing you want to do is find a Windows Installation Disk(Always order this with your computer if you have the option). Put it in the computer and boot to it. After doing this I selected the option to go the recovery console. Sadly it told me that it could not detect a drive and to run the diagnostics. So I booted into the Bios and ran Lenovo's HD Diagnostic tool. It said it was good so I ran the Windows XP disc again and this time ti worked. WIERD. Partially it actually sits for awhile before I get something useful. Must have really corrupted the Windows install. It gives me the option of which install to work on I select it by typing the number and hitting enter again. Still kind of sits for awhile after which the HD Light starts flickering away.

Sadly after running "chkdsk /r" I get the error "The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems." At this point just backup your info if you can.

UPDATE I downloaded Lenovo's PC Doctor Hard Drive Tool and this one did state a problem. Will be returning it since we are still under warranty.



Ayways

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it Clean.